“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

JUNK FOOD_sketchbook













I feel terrible not being able to upload any new images regularly as of late. Busy, busy busy...with stuff I can't show just yet. Apologies, folks.

Anyhoo - as I'm doing some spring cleaning in my garage (spring cleaning? fall cleaning?...whatever) I find a crate that has an old sketchbook and a few folders that have old art in them - it's like finding lost treasure! Poorly drawn (my stuff anyway), artistically uninspired should-have-stayed-lost treasure! Awesome! The images are about 4 years old, from when I was doing storyboards on 'He-Man and The Masters of The Universe'. Maybe more than 4 years ago? Actually I have no clue as to exactly when - synapses are misfiring in my head and I'm having a terrible time recollecting things these days. Old age catching up to me; but I digress. The point is: they're old. Older.

And because she has been so swamped with being a director and unable to upload new images on her blog, I've taken it upon myself to post some of the images (that I found in one o' them folders) that the ultra-talented Lauren Montgomery gave to me from back in those days. Actually, I have no idea whether or not she gave these to me - I've completely forgotten. For all I know I stole these from her. I need a serious shot of vitamin B6 or B12...I think it's a B vitamin? And though I've a funny picture in my head of Lauren cringing at the site of these, I *still* think they're pretty damn good. My favorite? Ummm... it's a toss-up between Jem singing GnR's 'Knocking On Heaven's Door' and She-Ra with the 'come hither' look in her eyes. Like I said - pretty damn good.

Oh yeah! Speaking of cringing - that last image of Lauren's is a panel from her He-Man boards where Prince Adam and Cringer have a 'special moment' before the lad turns into the most powerful man in the universe. Hah! J/K...it's just a panel of action that she's notorious for - as in, drawing people or picking shots that make you go, "What the hell, woman?! Is that [ insert sexual inuendo and/or situation between one, two, sometimes three characters from said show here ]?! Great work!"

Yay! Lauren's sneaking in stuff past the Broadcast Standards and Practices people! Yay! Haha! So, yeah - instead of getting a healthy nutritous meal consisting of the four basic food groups (i.e. 90 minute sketches, commission, etc.) you get a copious dose of candy, Yoohoo!, deep-fried Oreo cookies and Talia Head kicking Nazi ass!

Mmmmm...Oreo cookies. Um, where am I? What's this Blogger thingee about? Why am I eating deordorant? Damn you BEEEE-TWEEEEEEELVE! Or...BEEEE-SIIIIIIIIIXX!

6 comments:

UrbanBarbarian said...

too much art... can't take it all in... trying to processs.....!!!

Chris Sims said...

Damn homie! Your oldies are still better than my newbies and Lauren was on fire back then too. What kinda vitamins are you taking for these incredible art abilities?

Pipocalavera said...

Ok...you draw...and draw..and draw and draw and draw and draw and draw and draw and draw and draw ...but...when do you live XD

Maybe it's old but it's new for me...and it keeps shocking me!
See you here

Patrick Gray said...

Eric man, this stuff is insane. I love the sketch of the girl on the bike in front of the fallen statue head. Any of these progress into final pieces?

Lauren said...

I can't believe you put those online .... where people can see .... you jerk.

sebs said...

I like your Batman's sketches, they're really cool :)